Are you thinking of getting dental implants but are unsure of what to expect and how to prepare for it? Well, we got you covered! Dental implants are done to cover up any missing or damaged teeth by replacing tooth roots with the help of screw-like metal posts. This procedure is a little complex and can pan out over some months.
So if you are going to get dental implants Frisco TX, here is what you can expect from the procedure and how you can prepare for it. Knowing these important details beforehand will allow you to be mentally prepared for your dental procedure and thus finish your surgery with zero hassle or confusion. So let’s get started!
What To Expect
Dental implant surgery is commonly conducted as an ongoing treatment done in stages, with healing time in between. Here are some of the steps included in the surgery-
- Removing damaged teeth
- At times, grafting or jawbone preparation is performed.
- Bone development and repair
- Placing abutment
- Placing a dental implant
Now that you have a better idea of what to expect from your dental implant surgery, here is how you can prepare for it.
How To Prepare Yourself For The Surgery
The first thing that you should know is that dental implants require a lot of planning. And you won’t be able to do it all by yourself so you need a doctor who specializes in conditions of the face, jaw, and mouth (oral and maxillofacial surgeon), a dentist who specializes in treating structures that support the teeth, such as bones and gums (periodontist), and a dentist who fits and designs artificial teeth (prosthodontist). All of them will have a hand in your surgery and Talking to them will allow you to understand your entire procedure, be better prepared for it, and plan it out.
Since this procedure is entirely like surgery, you should also undergo a complete examination to prepare for the treatment, which should include the following:
- Examine your teeth thoroughly. 3D pictures and dental X-rays, as well as models of your teeth and jaw, must be taken.
- Examine your medical background. Any medical issues you have and any medications you take, including over-the-counter or prescription pharmaceuticals and vitamins, should be disclosed to your doctor. For example, antibiotics may be prescribed before surgery if you have specific cardiac issues or orthopedic implants to avoid infection.
- Make a treatment surgery with your dentist. This plan is customized to your needs, considering things like how many teeth need to be replaced and the state of your jawbone and remaining teeth.
Dental implants are the best thing you can do to cover up any damaged or missing tooth. And the above article will help you understand all that you can expect from this surgery and how you can be best prepared for it. So what are you waiting for? Head over to your Frisco dentist today and get a dental implant!